Every time you turn around there is new chatter about this, that, or the other thing being bad for you. The most recent thing to come to my attention is carageenan, a common food additive. If you pay attention to labels, which for years I did not, you will see it here or there. I remember wondering what it was, doing a quick google search, finding it to be a seaweed product, and left it at that.
Sometimes I get so darn overwhelmed, and I just don’t want to have to *think so hard* about putting something in my cart and bringing it home. I don’t want to be an Earth Momma making everything from scratch, but the more I learn about the food in the stores, the more I realize that I need to, for the sake of my family’s health.
A lot of foods have carageenan, including “plant milks” like almond/soy/coconut milk. Carageenan, a seaweed product used as a thickening agent, is considered by many to be inflammatory, causing gastric discomfort, and ultimately, a carcinogen at worst. It is approved for use in organic food too.
- http://www.notmilk.com/carageenan.html (anti carageenan article)
- http://blog.healthkismet.com/carrageenan-cancer-health-inflammation (anti-carageenan article)
- http://www.cornucopia.org/carrageenan/ (anti-carageenan article)
- http://www.stonyfield.com/blog/2012/06/01/carrageenan-safety/ (pro-carageenan article from a manufacturer that uses it in products; I find it interesting that they closed comments on that blog…their article is compelling yet we must remember their purpose: to sell food with this stuff in it.)
- Shopping Guide for Avoiding Food with Carageenan: http://www.cornucopia.org/shopping-guide-to-avoiding-organic-foods-with-carrageenan/
- Making your own almond milk: http://www.choosingraw.com/raw-101-homemade-almond-milk/
- Making your own rice milk: (this is lengthy and has a few rants -which I agree with LOL- about Monsanto and big companies…if you just want the recipe scroll to the bottom) http://www.veganreader.com/2009/05/17/how-to-make-rice-milk-and-stop-supporting-rice-dream/